My Books Reach Readers in 50+ Countries—Without a Literary Agent
How I Built a Global Publishing Business One Book at a Time
For decades, aspiring authors have been told the same thing:
"If you want readers around the world, you need a literary agent."
I don't believe that's true anymore.
Today, my books are available to readers in more than 50 countries through a network of global distributors, retailers, and publishing partners.
And I did it without a literary agent.
That doesn't mean literary agents aren't valuable. Many authors build outstanding careers with great representation. But today's publishing landscape offers another path—one where independent authors can create worldwide reach on their own terms.
I've spent years proving that path exists.
It Started with One Book
Like most authors, I began with a single manuscript and a dream.
I wasn't thinking about Germany, Australia, or India.
I was simply trying to publish a quality book.
But every time I learned something new, I asked another question:
"Where else can my readers find my books?"
That question changed everything.
I Stopped Thinking Like a Writer
Instead, I started thinking like a publisher.
Publishing isn't just writing.
It's production.
Distribution.
Marketing.
Metadata.
Pricing.
Cover design.
Retail relationships.
Discoverability.
Every decision affects how easily readers can find your work.
Building a Worldwide Distribution Network
Over time, I expanded beyond a single retailer.
Today my books are distributed through a combination of platforms that include:
- Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing
- Ingram
- StreetLib
- Kobo
- Apple Books
- Google Play Books
- Barnes & Noble
- BookVault (United Kingdom)
- BookMundo (Europe)
- Pothi (India)
- XinXii (Germany)
Each platform filled another gap.
Each one opened another market.
Each one helped introduce my books to readers I never would have reached otherwise.
The World Is Bigger Than Amazon
Many independent authors publish exclusively through one platform.
There's nothing wrong with that.
But the world is much larger than one bookstore.
Readers buy books from regional retailers.
Libraries.
Independent bookstores.
University bookstores.
Subscription services.
Country-specific ebook stores.
The more doors you open, the more opportunities readers have to discover your work.
My Strategy Was Simple
I never chased one massive launch.
Instead, I focused on long-term growth.
Every year I asked myself:
- Can I reach another country?
- Can I add another retailer?
- Can I improve my metadata?
- Can I publish another quality book?
Small improvements eventually became a global publishing network.
You Don't Need Every Market on Day One
One of the biggest mistakes I see is authors trying to conquer the entire world with their first book.
You don't have to.
Build one market at a time.
Learn how each platform works.
Understand your readers.
Expand only when you're ready.
Publishing is a marathon—not a sprint.
Success Looks Different Than You Think
When people hear "worldwide distribution," they often imagine thousands of sales pouring in overnight.
That's not reality.
Sometimes worldwide success looks like this:
One sale from Germany.
A paperback ordered in Australia.
An ebook downloaded in India.
A library purchase in Canada.
A reader discovering your thriller in the United Kingdom.
Individually those sales may seem small.
Collectively they prove something powerful:
Your audience doesn't live in one country.
What I Learned
After publishing across multiple platforms, I've learned several lessons:
- Distribution matters.
- Consistency matters.
- Professional presentation matters.
- Readers can find great books anywhere in the world.
Most importantly...
You don't have to wait for someone else to build your career.
A New Era for Authors
Technology has transformed publishing.
Today, independent authors have access to tools that simply didn't exist twenty years ago.
You can publish professionally.
You can distribute globally.
You can build a readership across continents.
You can control your rights.
And you can do it while maintaining ownership of your work.
That opportunity is extraordinary.
Final Thoughts
I still believe traditional publishing has an important place in our industry.
I've signed publishing contracts during my career, and I've been grateful for those opportunities.
But I'm equally proud of what I've built independently.
Today, my books reach readers in more than 50 countries—not because someone gave me permission, but because I was willing to learn the business of publishing, expand my distribution one step at a time, and keep writing.
If you're an author wondering whether it's possible to build an international readership without a literary agent, my answer is simple:
Yes.
Not overnight.
Not effortlessly.
But absolutely.
The world has never been more accessible to independent authors.
The only question is:
How far are you willing to take your books?
About the Author
Kevin B. DiBacco is an award-winning filmmaker, bestselling author, and founder of Stone Gate Story Studio. Over a career spanning more than 37 years, he has published books across health, fitness, filmmaking, true crime, thrillers, westerns, and science fiction. His titles have earned multiple #1 Ingram subject rankings and are distributed through Amazon, Ingram, StreetLib, BookVault, BookMundo, Pothi, XinXii, and other global publishing partners, making his work available to readers in more than 50 countries worldwide.
